Data Protection Information – Fraunhofer IEM
The following pertains to the use of this website. As the party responsible for data processing (controller), we process your personal data collected via our website and store them for the period necessary to achieve the specified purposes and to comply with statutory requirements. In the following, we inform you about the data we collect and the way we process them. Furthermore, we inform you about your data privacy rights pertaining to the use of this website.
Personal data, as defined by Article 4(1) General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) includes any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person.
1. Name and contact information of the person responsible for data processing (controller) and of the corporate Data Protection Officer
This data protection information shall apply to the processing of data on our Institute’s website www.iem.fraunhofer.de/en by the controller, the:
Fraunhofer Gesellschaft zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e.V.
Hansastrasse 27 c
D-80686 München (Munich, Germany)
On behalf of your [Fraunhofer Institute]
(in the following referred to as ‘Fraunhofer IEM’)
Telephone: +49 5251 5465 101
Fax: +49 5251 5465 102
You can reach the Data Protection Officer of the Fraunhofer Institute at the above address c/o Data Protection Officer or at email@example.com.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Data Protection Officer directly at any time in case of any questions concerning your data protection rights and/or your rights as data subject.
Every time you visit our web pages, our website servers save your device’s accessing our website in a protocol file. This storage is temporary; our website server saves the following access data until their automated deletion:
- The IP address of the requesting device
- Access date and time
- Name and URL of the accessed data
- The data volume transmitted
- The message whether the access was successful
- The browser and operating system used
- The name of the Internet Provider (ISP)
- The referring website (referrer URL)
These data are processed for the following purposes:
- To enable the use of the website (connection setup)
- Administration of the network infrastructure
- Appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure IT systems and data security taking into account the state of the art technology
- To offer user-friendly service
- To optimize the Internet offering
Legal foundations for the above processing purposes:
- Processing in response to a website visit pursuant to numbers 1-2 the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (b) (requirement for compliance with provisions of the website user contract)
- Processing pursuant to number 3, the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (c) GDPR (legal obligation to implement technical and organisational measures to ensure secure data processing pursuant to Article 32 GDPR) and the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR (legitimate interests in data processing for the network and information security) as well as
- Data processing pursuant to numbers 4 – 5, the first sentence of Article 6(1), lit. f GDPR (legitimate interests). Our legitimate interests in the processing of data are based on our desire to offer user-friendly optimised web pages.
After the set period of 4 days, our web server automatically deletes the above-mentioned data. To the extent that data are processed longer for purposes pursuant to numbers 2 – 5, we will anonymise or delete the data as soon as their storage no longer serves the respective purpose.
We offer our website’s visitors the opportunity to contact us via a form on our website. To enable you to communicate with us via this form, we request the following data:
- First and last name
- Email address
We need these data to find out who contacted us and to process the user request.
We process the data in response to your enquiry. Our purpose is to answer your inquiry for the purposes of our legitimate interests pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR.
Once we have satisfied the enquiry via contact form, we will automatically delete the personal data collected.
With exception of the above-mentioned cases of data processing by service providers on our behalf, we give your personal data only to third parties (i.e. to natural and legal persons other than you, the data subject), the controller or the service provider or its vicarious agents if:
- You consented explicitly to the data transfer to a third party pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (a) GDPR
- The data transfer is necessary for the performance of the contract with you pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (b) GDPR
- Data transfer to the mail order firm which will deliver the goods you ordered
- Payment data transfer to payment service providers and credit institutes for payment transactions
- We are legally obligated to surrender the data to financial or judicial authorities pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (c) GDPR
- Transferring your data to third parties is required to establish, exercise or defend legal claims, and there is no reason to assume that you as data subject could have an overriding interest worth protecting in the non-transfer of your personal data pursuant to Article 6(1) S. 1, point (f) GDPR. Such a data transfer to government and/or law enforcement authorities may occur in cases of attacks on our IT systems.
Third parties may use the transferred data only for the above-mentioned purposes.
Pursuant to Article 28 GDPR, our service providers host our websites on servers located in Germany exclusively. Additional service processors are
The transfer of personal data to countries outside the EU or an international organisation is excluded.
We use server-side cookies. Cookies are small files which are automatically created by your browser and stored in your device (PC, laptop, tablet, smartphone or similar device) once you visit our website. Cookies do not harm your computer, and they do not contain viruses, Trojans or other malware.
Cookies contain information pertaining to the specific device, which accessed our website. However, this does not provide us with direct knowledge of your identity.
We also use temporary cookies to optimise the user-friendliness of our website. Your device stores these cookies temporarily for a specific time. Once you visit our website again, our server will recognise your device as prior visitor and remember your settings and preferences. You will not have to enter these parameters again.
The data obtained with the help of cookies help us pursue our legitimate interests as website owners and serve the legitimate interests of third parties pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically. However, you are able to configure your browser in such a way that the application does not store cookies on your computer or always shows an alert before storing new cookies. However, the complete deactivation of cookies may prevent you from using all of the functions on our website.
For our website, we use the Leadlab service of the Wiredminds GmbH service provider and the company’s pixel counting technology to analyse the habits of our website users. The analysis helps us optimise our website. The service allows us to recognise which companies visit our website. The data do not enable us to identify users directly.
Without your explicit consent, neither Wiredminds nor we use the so collected data to identify you personally, and your personal data are never matched with data under a pseudonym associated with you.
To the extent that IP addresses are collected, they are stripped of their last control number block upon collection to anonymise the addresses instantly.
You may find the data protection statement of Wiredminds on their website.
The provider processes the data based on our legitimate interest pursuant to Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR in the optimisation of our online offerings and our web presence. Wiredminds processes the data on our behalf, and we have entered into an order processing agreement with Wiredminds. It ensures that the data processing on our behalf is done in compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and that the rights of the data subjects are protected.
If you choose to object to the collection of data and the analysis of your user activities, please use our opt-out cookie to prevent installing our cookies. This will prevent the future collection of data when you use our website. The opt-out cookie in your device is valid only in this browser and only for our website. If you delete the cookies in this browser, you have to install the opt-out cookie again. To object to the services Wiredminds please follow this link.
We use social plug-ins (media buttons) on our website. These are small buttons. Click on them to place the content of our website under your profile in social network sites.
If you click on such a button, a link will be established between our website and the social network to which you subscribe. Aside from the respective content, the social network provider will receive other personal information. This includes the information that you are visiting our website right now.
In order to integrate the social plug-in we use the so-called Shariff Solution. This solution prevents your device from creating a link to the social network merely because you visit a website featuring a social plug-in button without clicking on it. This means that a link is established only if you click on the social plug-in button.
We integrate the following social plug-ins on our website:
Some information is transferred to the US domicile of the parent company Facebook Inc. This company complies with the data protection regulations of the US Privacy Shield and is registered with the US Privacy Shield Program of the US Department of Commerce.
Purpose and scope of the data collection and further processing and use of the data by Facebook and your user rights as well as your ability to protect your privacy rights by changing your browser settings are subject to Facebook’s Data Protection Statement.
Some information is transferred to the US parent company Twitter Inc. The Twitter International Company complies with the data protection regulations of the US Privacy Shield. Twitter Inc. is registered with the US Privacy Shield Program of the US Department of Commerce.
Please find more information on Twitter’s data protection in Twitter’s Data Protection Statement.
Please find more information on Xing’s data protection in Xing’s Data Protection Declaration.
Please find more information on LinkedIn´s data protection in LinkedIn´s Data Protection Declaration.
With consent pursuant to the first sentence of Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR, we use components (videos) of YouTube, LLC, 901 Cherry Avenue, 94066 San Bruno, CA (USA) (hereinafter referred to as ‘YouTube’), a company of Google Inc., Amphitheatre Parkway, 94043 Mountain View (USA), (hereinafter referred to as ‘Google’).
We use the ‘extended data protection mode’ option provided by YouTube.
Upon requesting an Internet page with embedded video, our website connects to the YouTube servers and renders the content on the Internet page using your browser.
According to the information provided by YouTube, in the ‘extended data protection mode’, your data will be transferred to the US YouTube servers only while you watch the video. The transferred data include the Internet page you just viewed and device-specific data including your IP address. By clicking ‘run’ on the video you agree to this transfer.
Should you be logged into your YouTube account at the same time, YouTube will associate these collected data with your member account. You may prevent this by logging out of your YouTube account prior to visiting our website.
Google complies with the data protection regulation of the US Privacy Shield and is registered with the US Privacy Shield Program of the US Department of Commerce.
You may find further information on data protection in context with YouTube in Google’s Data Protection Regulations.
You have the following rights:
- Pursuant to Article 7(3) GDPR, you have the right to withdraw at any time any consent you may have given to us before. Consequently, we may no longer continue the respective activity.
- Pursuant to Article 15 GDPR, you have the right to obtain information on your personal data which we have processed. In particular, you have the right to information on the following:
Purposes of the data processing
The category of personal data,
The categories of recipients to which we disclosed or will disclose your data,
The planned storage periods of data,
The existence of the right to correction, deletion, restriction of processing and objection,
The right to appeal,
The right to know the origin of your data in the event that we did not collect these data,
The right to meaningful and detailed information on the existence of automated decision-making including profiling and, if applicable, relevant information on the details thereof;
- Pursuant to Article 16 GDPR, you have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data and/or the completion of incomplete personal data in storage at the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft,
- Pursuant to Article 17 GDPR, you have the right to the erasure of your personal data unless the erasure interferes with the execution of the right to the free expression of opinions and to information, with the compliance with legal obligations, is necessary in the public interest or for establishing, exercising or defending legal claims,
- Pursuant to Article 18 GDPR, you have the right to restriction of processing of your personal data if you contest or challenge the accuracy of these data, the processing of the data is unlawful but you oppose the erasure of these data and we no longer need the data while you still need the data to establish, exercise or defend legal claims or you have raised an objection against the data processing pursuant to Article 21 GDPR,
- Pursuant to Article 20 GDPR, you have the right to receive the personal data concerning you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to demand the transmit to another controller and
- Pursuant to Article 77 GDPR, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. As a rule, you may find such authority at your habitual residence, your workplace or our company domicile.
Information on your right to object pursuant to Article 21 GDPR
You have the right to object at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal data pursuant to Article 6(1), point (f) GDPR (data processing for the purposes of the legitimate interests) and Article 6,(1), point (e) GDPR (data processing for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest). This shall also apply to profiling as prescribed by Article 4 No. 4 GDPR, which is based on this provision.
Once you file an objection, we will no longer process your personal data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or unless the processing serves the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
To the extent that your objection addresses the processing of data for direct advertising, we will stop the processing immediately. In this case, citing a special situation is not required. This shall also apply to profiling in as far as it relates to such direct advertising.
If you would like to assert your right to object, an email to firstname.lastname@example.org will suffice.
We transmit all your personal data using the widely used and secure TLS (Transport Layer Security) encryption standard. The TLS protocol is a proven and secure standard that is also used in online banking transactions. You will recognise a secure TLS connection by the “s” following the http (https://...) in your browser URL or by the lock symbol in the lower section of your browser.
Moreover, we use suitable technical and organisational safety procedures to protect your data against accidental or wilful manipulation, partial or complete loss, destruction or against the unauthorised access by third parties. We constantly improve these security measures as the technology advances.
This data protection information as amended on May 2018 is currently applicable.
Due to improvements of our website and website offers or by virtue of amended statutory or administrative standards, it may become necessary to amend this data protection information. You may find the latest data protection information by clicking the link on this website. You may read or print this updated and amended version at any time.
Should individual provisions of this data protection declaration be or become invalid either in part or in their entirety or prove infeasible at any time, this shall not affect the remaining provisions. This shall apply accordingly to gaps in this declaration.